As one of the most iconic and polarizing figures in modern music, Kanye West has never been one to shy away from controversy or push the boundaries of the art form. With his tenth studio album, “Donda,” released on August 29, 2021, Kanye once again showcases his creative vision and musical talent, while paying tribute to the woman who shaped his life and career: his late mother, Donda West.
The album's creation was shrouded in mystery and speculation for months leading up to its release. In a May 2020 Instagram Live interview, cinematographer Arthur Jafa revealed that he and Kanye were working on a music video together and that Kanye was preparing to release an album called “God's Country.” The news sent fans into a frenzy, and anticipation for Kanye's latest project continued to build.
A month later, Kanye released “Wash Us in the Blood,” featuring Travis Scott, which many believed to be the lead single from “God's Country.” Kanye himself confirmed the album's title in a tweet, but as the release date drew nearer, the album underwent a name change. Instead of “God's Country,” Kanye chose to honor his mother and name the album “Donda.”
The album's release was preceded by a series of listening events held in Atlanta, Chicago, and New York City, which drew huge crowds and generated even more buzz for the project. Fans and critics alike praised the album for its raw emotion and personal introspection, with many hailing it as one of Kanye's best works to date.
“Donda” features an eclectic mix of collaborators, including Kid Cudi, Jay-Z, The Weeknd, and many others. Kanye's signature production style and genre-bending approach are on full display, with the album's tracks ranging from hard-hitting rap to soulful ballads and experimental soundscapes.
“Donda” is a testament to Kanye's enduring influence and artistic vision, as well as a touching tribute to the woman who helped shape his life and career. Whether you love him or hate him, there's no denying that Kanye West is a true icon of modern music, and “Donda” is just the latest chapter in his storied career.
Kanye West – “DONDA” Album Tracklist
- Donda Chant (Ft. Syleena Johnson)
- Jail (Ft. Francis and the Lights & JAY-Z)
- God Breathed (Ft. Vory)
- Off the Grid (Ft. Fivio Foreign & Playboi Carti)
- Hurricane (Ft. Lil Baby & The Weeknd)
- Praise God (Ft. Baby Keem & Travis Scott)
- Jonah (Ft. Lil Durk & Vory)
- Ok Ok (Ft. Fivio Foreign & Lil Yachty)
- Junya (Ft. Playboi Carti)
- Believe What I Say
- 24 (Ft. Vory)
- Remote Control (Ft. Young Thug)
- Moon (Ft. Don Toliver & Kid Cudi)
- Heaven and Hell
- Donda (Ft. Ariana Grande & Tony Williams)
- Keep My Spirit Alive (Ft. Conway the Machine, KayCyy & Westside Gunn)
- Jesus Lord (Ft. The LOX, Jay Electronica, & Swizz Beatz)
- New Again (Ft. Chris Brown)
- Tell The Vision (Ft. Pop Smoke)
- Lord I Need You
- Pure Souls (Ft. Roddy Ricch & Shenseea)
- Come to Life
- No Child Left Behind (Ft. Vory)
- Jail, Pt. 2 (Ft. Marilyn Manson and DaBaby)
- Ok Ok, Pt. 2 (Ft. Shenseea & Rooga)
- Junya, Pt. 2 (Ft. Playboi Carti & Ty Dolla Sign)
- Jesus Lord, Pt. 2